Sunday, March 25, 2012

The best chocolate chip cookies in the entire universe


If I could only eat one thing for dessert for the rest of my life, I’d choose Mark Bittman’s perfectly chewy and crispy chocolate chip cookies. I use semisweet chocolate chips instead of chopped chocolate and usually halve the recipe so I am not tempted to gobble fistfuls of cookies everyday. Because that would be terrible. And also amazing.

Makes: 3 to 4 dozen
1 /2 pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
3 /4 cup granulated sugar
3 /4 cup brown sugar (I like to use dark brown sugar-it makes the cookies flatter)
2 eggs
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 /2 teaspoon baking soda
1 /2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups chopped good-quality semisweet chocolate (good quality semisweet chocolate chips are fine)

1. Heat the oven to 375°F. Cream together the butter and sugars with an electric mixer; add the eggs one at a time and beat until well blended.
2. Mix the flour, baking soda, and salt together in a bowl. Add the dry ingredients to the dough, beat together, then add the vanilla and stir in the chocolate chips.
3. Drop tablespoon-size mounds of dough about 3 inches apart in rows and columns on ungreased baking sheets. Bake until lightly browned, about 10 minutes. Cool for about 2 minutes on the sheets before transferring to a rack with a spatula to cool completely. The cookies will stay fresh in tupperware or a ziplock bag for a couple of days (they also freeze well).

Adapted from Mark Bittman’s How to Cook Everything which you should go out and buy right now

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting the recipe. I used mine so many times, it frayed and blew away somewhere in my kitchen. I agree, this recipe is perfect. So many people have complimented me on them that I feel like I should take credit, but I always
    give Mark Bittman his due. Happy baking.

    ReplyDelete