Sunday, April 8, 2012

Chicken-less Chicken Soup


I recently started taking public transportation on a daily basis again which means I recently got a cold. Woo! I was craving chicken noodle soup, but am not a fan of the saltiness and questionable looking meat that comes in most canned varieties. A quick surveying of my pantry made me realize I could make my own version-weird chicken shapes not included!

You’ll need:
1 ½-2 tbsp Better Than Bouillon Vegetarian No Chicken base (adjust according to how chicken-y you want your soup to taste)
3 large cloves garlic, minced
¾  tbsp fresh ginger, minced
1-1 ½ cups bowtie pasta (depending on your ideal broth to pasta ratio)
1 cup chopped carrots
1 cup frozen broccoli
½ cup frozen corn
½ cup chopped red pepper
Fresh baby spinach

In a medium saucepan, cook your pasta until it’s slightly underdone (I cooked mine for 8 minutes). Drain and set aside. In a large pot, combine the bouillon with 5 cups water and simmer for a minute or two. Add the garlic, ginger and carrots and simmer for about 5 minutes. Add the frozen broccoli and corn and cook for another 4 minutes. Throw in the red pepper and the pasta and let simmer for a minute while you get yourself a nice big noodle bowl. Serve yourself and stir in a handful of fresh baby spinach. You can also mix in a little siracha for extra spicy congestion busting power.

No comments:

Post a Comment